[Gluster-users] gluster v6.8: systemd units disabled after install

Alexander Iliev ailiev+gluster at mamul.org
Sat Apr 11 11:19:54 UTC 2020

Hi Hubert,

I think this would vary from distribution to distribution and it is up
to the package maintainers of the particular distribution to decide what
the default should be.

I am using Gluster 6.6 on CentOS and the Gluster-specific services there
were also disabled (although not exactly as in your original post - the
vendor preset was also disabled for me, while it is enabled for you).

This is only a speculation for this particular case, but I think the
idea in general is to have the system administrator explicitly enable
the services he wants running on reboot.

I would argue that this is the safer approach as opposed to enabling a
service automatically after its installation. An example scenario would
be - you install a service, the system is rebooted, e.g. due to a power
outage, mistyped command, etc., the service is started automatically
even though it hasn't been properly configured yet.

I guess, to really know the reasoning, the respective package
maintainers would need to jump in and share their idea behind this decision.

Best regards,
--
alexander iliev