[Gluster-users] Add single brick to dispersed volume?

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Wed Sep 25 13:31:13 UTC 2019

Hi William,

If you want to increase capacity of a disperse volume, you have to add bricks to your existing disperse volume.
The number of bricks you add should be in multiple of the existing configuration.

For example:

If you have created a disperse volume like this -

gluster volume create myvol disperse 3 redundancy 1 host1:brick1 host2:brick2 host3:brick3

This is a 1 x (2+1) disperse volume.
Now if you want to add some bricks to this volume, you have to do following -

gluster volume add-brick myvol host1:brick11 host2:brick22 host3:brick33
which will add 3 bricks in the form of one new sub volume - 2 x (2+1)

or you can do this

gluster volume add-brick myvol host1:brick11 host2:brick22 host3:brick33 host1:brick111 host2:brick222 host3:brick333
which will add 6 bricks in the form of two new sub volume - 3 x (2+1)

You mixed replication and disperse words so I am not sure which type of volume you have created. However, for replica volume also you have to add bricks in multiple.

In these type of queries, it would be better to provide information about volumes which would help us to understand your questions.

gluster v <volume name> info
gluster v <volume name> status

---
Ashish