[Gluster-users] Volume to store vm

Ramon Selga ramon.selga at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 20:46:15 UTC 2019

Hi Carlo,

Very good question: IMO it's a matter of compromise between having lots of small
files to heal and how long it takes to heal each one shard.

With small shards, it increases probability to have to self-heal more files in a
failure, also it means latency in metadata of each file could be significant
versus time to transfer rsync deltas.

With big shards, time to rsync could be very long.

You need to find a size something enough big for avoid latency affects
significantly to self-heal process and so small to avoid rsync delta take too
much time....

We found 256MB shard size for distributed-replicated (replica 2 o 3) volumes is
good enough and also we recommend to use 512MB shard size for volumes
distributed-dispersed 3 redundancy 1. For volumes distributed-dispersed 6
redundancy 2 we use 1024MB as shard size.

Hope this helps!

El 07/09/19 a les 15:04, Cristian Del Carlo ha escrit: