[Gluster-users] untrusted users

Pankaj Kumar pankajk81 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 04:12:26 UTC 2019

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Some clarifications:

>> If they have no sudo, they can't mount. Use a centralized authentication
system like freeipa or IdM. Every user should have their own userid that's
unique. No exceptions.
<< Every user has a user id. And they also have sudo access to their units.
Take for eg, AWS. You have a user id you login with but you get root on the
Virtual Machine. We know the username but users have full access to the
local machine.

>> Make mounts for them in fstab. Set ownership and groups on mount points
so each user is restricted to their folder only.
<< If every user has his own mount point, then how does he share anything
with other users?

>> I work in HIPAA rules now, DoD clearance rules earlier. Users are not to
be trusted. Other sysadmins are barely trustable. If users have any access
to adjust the system configuration in any way, take it away. That's your
job not theirs. It's easier to say no 100 times a day than spend 2 weeks in
front of lawyers explaining why untrusted users could create a mess that
involves lawyers and courts, fines and jail time.
<< Very thankful of the warning. We will do our best, get outside
verifications, launch prizes for hacks do everything it takes. We will only
do it when we are certain. We will make sure to limit access at the higher
levels. All online file sharing systems(google drive, Dropbox) do this
thing. That's why we are thinking of writing a layer over Gluster possibly
to achieve this.

 >> If your OS won't support basic system security, choose something that
will. Some Linux distros are not usable in a multiple user environment
(kali is a prime example). I work in an Enterprise environment so I use
RedHat/CEntOS.
<< We are using containers and we intend to give users a choice of base
images. They will be the only user on their linux.

>> Sorry to sound really harsh but this sounds like a nightmare that could
be avoided with a better sysadmin plan. Users are terrible sysadmin.
Programmers are too. Sysadmins are not very good programmers :-(
<< That's what we are trying to do here. We like GlusterFS and I think we
can build something on top of it with only a few tweaks. It supports ACLs
already. If we could write a layer such that we force a container to be
able to mount as the specified user only or not mount at all, we have what
we want already.

Thanks