[Gluster-users] On a glusterfsd service

Amar Tumballi amarts at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:54:30 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 5:21 PM Kay K. <kkay.jp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm using 20 glusterfs servers on CentOS 6.9 for about 5 years. It's
> working well.

That is a sweet thing to read as first thing the email :-)

> However recently, I noticed that those settings are
> different in a part of hosts.
>
> Those 20 servers are working on runlevel:3.
> For 10 servers, if I looked at a directory /etc/rc.3, I found to be
> set K80 for the service, glusterfsd like below.
>
> $ ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/*gluster*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Mar  9  2016 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K80glusterfsd
> -> ../init.d/glusterfsd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Mar  9  2016 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20glusterd ->
> ../init.d/glusterd
>
> However, I checked the another 10 servers, I cound find to be set S20
> for glusterfsd as below.
>
> $ ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/*gluster*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Oct  9  2015 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20glusterd ->
> ../init.d/glusterd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Oct  9  2015 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20glusterfsd
> -> ../init.d/glusterfsd
>
> I remember that the half of servers were built up several years lator.
> I expect that maybe, the difference was made at the time.

Most probably. The dates points difference of ~18 months between them.
Surely some improvements would have gone into the code. (~1000 patches in
an year)

Trying to check git log inside glusterfs' spec file and not able to find
any thing. Looks like the diff is mostly with CentOS spec.

> Futhermore, if I checked the status for glusterfsd, the glusterfsd can
> get running as below.
>
> $ /etc/init.d/glusterd status
> glusterd (pid  1989) is running...
> $ /etc/init.d/glusterfsd status
> glusterfsd (pid 2216 2206 2201 2198 2193 2187 2181 2168 2163 2148 2147
> 2146 2139 2130 2123 2113 2111 2100 2088) is running...

:-)

> Actually, my GlusterFS server is working well.

IMO that is a good news. I don't think it would be an issue all of a sudden
after 4-5 years.

> I don't know that which setting is correct. Would you know about it?

We just need to start 'glusterd' service in later versions. So, if it is
working, it would be fine. For reference/correctness related things, I
would leave it to experts on specs, and init.d scripts to respond.

For most of the emails, we end up recommending to move to a latest,
supported version, but considering you are not facing an issue on top of
filesystem, I wouldn't recommend that yet :-)

Regards,
Amar