[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Proposal to change gNFS status

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 10:40:08 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM Amar Tumballi <amarts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As per the discussion on https://review.gluster.org/23645, recently we
> changed the status of gNFS (gluster's native NFSv3 support) feature to
> 'Depricated / Orphan' state. (ref:
> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/MAINTAINERS#L185..L189).
> With this email, I am proposing to change the status again to 'Odd Fixes'
> (ref: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/MAINTAINERS#L22)
>
> TL;DR;
>
> I understand the current maintainers are not able to focus on maintaining
> it as the focus of the project, as earlier described, is keeping
> NFS-Ganesha based integration with glusterfs. But, I am volunteering along
> with Xie Changlong (currently working at Chinamobile), to keep the feature
> running as it used to in previous versions. Hence the status of 'Odd
> Fixes'.

As long as there are volunteers to keep maintaining it, I think it's a
great idea to have it.
I personally do not see the value, as I believe it's somewhat of a
redundant effort in several ways (it's not helping stabilizing having more
than one implementation, it doesn't help in improving it from features
perspective - pNFS, NFS v4.2, IPv6, performance... and it 'costs' more in
CI and testing), but indeed if there's interest from both the users and the
development community - then sure!

> Before sending the patch to make these changes, I am proposing it here
> now, as gNFS is not even shipped with latest glusterfs-7.0 releases. I have
> heard from some users that it was working great for them with earlier
> releases, as all they wanted was NFS v3 support, and not much of features
> from gNFS. Also note that, even though the packages are not built, none of
> the regression tests using gNFS are stopped with latest master, so it is
> working same from at least last 2 years.
>
> I request the package maintainers to please add '--with gnfs' (or
> --enable-gnfs) back to their release script through this email, so those
> users wanting to use gNFS happily can continue to use it. Also points to
> users/admins is that, the status is 'Odd Fixes', so don't expect any
> 'enhancements' on the features provided by gNFS.

'Odd fixes' sounds odd to me. Better come with a better terminology. ;-)
Y.