[Gluster-users] Sudden, dramatic performance drops with Glusterfs

Michael Rightmire Michael.Rightmire at KIT.edu
Wed Nov 6 10:50:01 UTC 2019

Hello list!

I'm new to Glusterfs in general. We have chosen to use it as our
distributed file system on a new set of HA file servers.

The setup is:
2 SUPERMICRO SuperStorage Server 6049PE1CR36L with 24-4TB spinning disks
and NVMe for cache and slog.
HBA not RAID card
Ubuntu 18.04 server (on both systems)
ZFS filestorage
Glusterfs 5.10

Step one was to install Ubuntu, ZFS, and gluster. This all went without
issue.
We have 3 ZFS raidz2 identical on both servers
We have three glusterfs mirrored volumes - 1 attached to each raidz on
each server. I.e.

And mounted the gluster volumes as (for example) "/glusterfs/homes ->
/zpool/homes". I.e.
gluster volume create homes replica 2 transport tcp
server1:/zpool-homes/homes server2:/zpool-homes/homes force
(on server1) server1:/homes     44729413504 16032705152 28696708352  36%
/glusterfs/homes

The problem is, the performance has deteriorated terribly.
We needed to copy all of our data from the old server to the new
glusterfs volumes (appx. 60TB).
We decided to do this with multiple rsync commands (like 400 simultanous
rsyncs)
The copy went well for the first 4 days, with an average across all
rsyncs of 150-200 MBytes per second.
Then, suddenly, on the fourth day, it dropped to about 50 MBytes/s.
Then, by the end of the day, down to ~5MBytes/s (five).
I've stopped the rsyncs, and Ican still copy an individual file across
to the glusterfs shared directory at 100MB/s.
But actions such as "ls -la" or "find" take forever!

Are there obvious flaws in my setup to correct?
How can I better troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
--

Mike