[Gluster-users] Proper command for replace-brick on distribute–replicate?

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 11:00:14 UTC 2019

On 12/06/19 1:38 PM, Alan Orth wrote:
> Dear Ravi,
>
> Thanks for the confirmation—I replaced a brick in a volume last night
> and by the morning I see that Gluster has replicated data there,
> though I don't have any indication of its progress. The `gluster v
> heal volume info` and `gluster v heal volume info split-brain` are all
> looking good so I guess that's enough of an indication.
Yes, right now, heal info showing no files is the indication. A new
command for pending heal time estimation is something that is being
worked upon. See https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/643

> One question, though. Immediately after I replaced the brick I checked
> `gluster v status volume` and I saw the following:
>
> Task Status of Volume volume
> Task                 : Rebalance
> ID                   : a890e99c-5715-4bc1-80ee-c28490612135
> Status               : not started
>
> I did not initiate a rebalance, so it's strange to see it there. Is
> Gluster hinting that I should start a rebalance? If a rebalance is
> "not started" shouldn't Gluster just not show it at all?

`replace-brick` should not show rebalance status. Not sure why you're
seeing it. Adding Nithya for help.

> Regarding the patch to the documentation: absolutely! Let me just get
> my Gluster back in order after my confusing upgrade last month. :P

Great. Please send the PR for the
https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/ project. I think
docs/Administrator Guide/Managing Volumes.md is the file that needs to
be updated.

-Ravi