[Gluster-users] Advice for setup: SW RAID 6 vs JBOD

Hu Bert revirii at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 7 05:38:04 UTC 2019

If i remember correctly: in the video they suggested not to make a
RAID 10 too big (i.e. too many (big) disks), because the RAID resync
then could take a long time. They didn't mention a limit; on my 3
servers with 2 RAID 10 (1x4 disks, 1x6 disks), no disk failed so far,
but there were automatic periodic redundancy checks (mdadm checkarray)
which ran for a couple of days, increasing load on the servers and
responsiveness of glusterfs on the clients. Almost no one even noticed
that mdadm checks were running :-)

But if i compare it with our old JBOD setup: after the disk change the
heal took about a month, resulting in really poor performance on the
client side. As we didn't want to experience that period again ->
throw hardware at the problem. Maybe a different setup (10 disks -> 5
RAID 1, building a distribute replicate) would've been even better,
but so far we're happy with the current setup.