[Gluster-users] Glusterfs 4.1.6

Hu Bert revirii at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:11:29 UTC 2019

Hi Ashish & all others,

if i may jump in... i have a little question if that's ok?
replace-brick and reset-brick are different commands for 2 distinct
problems? I once had a faulty disk (=brick), it got replaced
(hot-swap) and received the same identifier (/dev/sdd again); i
followed this guide:

https://docs.gluster.org/en/v3/Administrator%20Guide/Managing%20Volumes/
-->> "Replacing bricks in Replicate/Distributed Replicate volumes"

If i unterstand it correctly:

- using replace-brick is for "i have an additional disk and want to
move data from existing brick to new brick", old brick gets removed
from volume and new brick gets added to the volume.
- reset-brick is for "one of my hdds crashed and it will be replaced
by a new one", the brick name stays the same.

did i get that right? If so: holy smokes... then i misunderstood this
completly (sorry @Pranith&Xavi). The wording is a bit strange here...

Thx
Hubert