[Gluster-users] GFS performance under heavy traffic

David Cunningham dcunningham at voisonics.com
Tue Dec 17 21:19:14 UTC 2019

Hello,

We switched a production system to using GFS instead of NFS at the weekend,
however it didn't go well on Monday when full load hit. The application
started crashing regularly and we had to revert to NFS. It seems that the
problem was high network traffic used by GFS.

We've two GFS nodes plus one arbiter node, each about 1.3ms latency from
each other. Attached is a chart of network traffic on one of the GFS nodes.
We see that it saturated the 1Gbps link before we reverted to NFS at 15:10.

The question is, why does GFS use so much network traffic and is there
anything we can do about it? NFS traffic doesn't exceed 4MBps, so 120MBps
for GFS seems awfully high.

It would also be good to have faster read performance from GFS, but that's
another issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--
David Cunningham, Voisonics Limited