[Gluster-users] master volume

Shwetha Acharya sacharya at redhat.com
Thu Aug 15 03:42:43 UTC 2019

Consider that you have a volume, named vol1. Now you want to have a replica
of it, for disaster recovery. What do you do? You will create a new volume,
say, repica-vol1 in a different cluster.

To replicate data from vol1 to replica-vol1, you will set up a geo-rep
session between vol1 and replica-vol1. In geo-replication, we call your
primary volume vol1 as master. The replicated volume replica-vol1 is called
slave. We call it master and slave because you will see unidirectional sync
of data from master volume(vol1) to slave volume(replica-vol1).

Hope this helps.