[Gluster-users] Rsync in place of heal after brick failure

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Apr 9 17:32:41 UTC 2019

The performance needs to be compared between the two in a real environment.

For example I have a system where xfsdump takes something like 4 hours
for a complete dump to /dev/null but a "find . -type f > /dev/null"
takes well over a day.
So it seems that xfsdump is very disk read efficient.

Another thing to take into consideration is the latency.

If the hosts are on the same lan then life is good but if the systems
are milliseconds or more away from each other then you start getting
side effects from BDP(bandwidth delay product) and this can quickly take
a multi-gigabit link and turn it into a multi-megabit link.

BBCP supports piping data into and out of the program allowing for
better use of the available bandwidth.
So that may be another way to get better performance out of multiple
links or links with latency issues.

On 4/9/19 11:34 AM, Strahil wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but  I have been left with the impression that cluster heal is multi-process ,  multi-connection event and would benefit from a bonding like balance-alb.
>
> I don't have much experience with xfsdump, but it looks like a single process that uses single connection and thus only LACP can be beneficial.
>
> Am I wrong?
>
> Best Regards,
> Strahil NikolovOn Apr 9, 2019 07:10, Aravinda <avishwan at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2019-04-08 at 09:01 -0400, Tom Fite wrote:
>>> Thanks for the idea, Poornima. Testing shows that xfsdump and
>>> xfsrestore is much faster than rsync since it handles small files
>>> much better. I don't have extra space to store the dumps but I was
>>> able to figure out how to pipe the xfsdump and restore via ssh. For
>>> anyone else that's interested:
>>>
>>> On source machine, run:
>>>
>>> xfsdump -J - /dev/mapper/[vg]-[brick] | ssh root@[destination fqdn]
>>> xfsrestore -J - [/path/to/brick]
>> Nice. Thanks for sharing
>>
>>> -Tom

>> --
>> regards
>> Aravinda

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||