[Gluster-users] Gluster and LVM

Boris Zhmurov bb at kernelpanic.ru
Mon Apr 8 10:49:02 UTC 2019

Hi Felix,

On 03/04/2019 15:20, kbh-admin wrote:
> Hello Gluster-Community,
>

> we consider to build several gluster-servers and have a question
> regarding  lvm and glusterfs.
>

> Scenario 1: Snapshots
>
> Of course, taking snapshots is a good capability and we want to use
> lvm for that.

Please keep in mind, not just LVM, but LVM's "thin volumes"

> Scenaraio 2: Increase gluster volume
>
> We want to increase the gluster volume by adding hdd's and/or by adding
>
> dell powervaults later. We got the recommendation to set up a new
> gluster volume
>
> for the powervaults and don't use lvm in that case (lvresize ....) .
>

> What would you suggest and how do you manage both lvm and glusterfs
> together?
>

> Thanks in advance.

If you use LVM, it is quite simple just to increase the volume. When you
add new HDDs, create new logical volumes on them, make the file system,
and add it as another brick to your gluster volume (gluster add-brick
volumename replica N ip.add.re.ss:/new-brick ... etc...).

--
Kind regards,
Boris Zhmurov
mailto: bb at kernelpanic.ru