[Gluster-users] Gluster tier in progress after attach

Jeevan Patnaik g1patnaik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:31:58 UTC 2018

Hi,

What do you mean by expanding volume?

I mean adding new bricks to extend storage. It is mentioned that detaching
tier is must for adding or removing bricks.

What command did you use to detach the tier? And how did you check that the
files still exist on the hot tier?

gluster volume tier volume_name detach start

I check the files directly from backend filesystem on disk and there are
still left over files on all hot tier disks.

Anyhow I proceeded with detach commit to see what would happen..so after
commit, I can't access those files from client filesystems..so they're gone
with the hot tier and were not moved to cold tier.

And even if I try to attach the hot tier bricks again to bring back the
files, attach won't work with existing files.

So, it seems we shouldn't detach hot tier without making sure all files are
moved to cold tier..but in my case, some files just won't move, even though
they aren't being accessed anywhere.

There's a statement saying POSIX locks can cause files to be still left in
hot tier and in that case, either the application causing posix lock has to
be closed or files should be moved manually (but where?)... however, I
don't think in my case there's any posix locks as the files are not
accessed by any application except gluster itself.

Regards,
Jeevan.