[Gluster-users] vfs_gluster broken

Anoop C S anoopcs at autistici.org
Wed Sep 19 12:37:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-09-12 at 10:37 -0600, Terry McGuire wrote:
> > Can you please attach the output of `testparm -s` so as to look through how Samba is setup?

I have a setup where I could browse and work with a GlusterFS volume share made available to Windows
via vfs_glusterfs module on CentOS 7.5.1804 with glusterfs-3.10.12-1.el7 and samba-4.7.1-9.el7_5.

What am I missing? Are there any specific operation that leads to abnormal behaviours?

> From our test server (“nomodule-nofruit” is currently the only well-behaved share):
>
> root at mfsuat-01 ~]#testparm -s
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
> Processing section "[share1]"
> Processing section "[share2]"
> Processing section "[nomodule]"
> Processing section "[nomodule-nofruit]"
> Processing section "[module]"
> Processing section "[IPC$]"
> WARNING: No path in service IPC$ - making it unavailable!
> NOTE: Service IPC$ is flagged unavailable.

On an unrelated note:

I don't think your intention to make [IPC$] unavailable using the 'available' parameter would work
at all.

> Loaded services file OK.
> idmap range not specified for domain '*'
> ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

On an unrelated note:

Why haven't you specified range for default configuration? I think it is a must to set range for the
default configuration.

> WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
> These may not be accessible to some older clients.
> (Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
> WARNING: some services use vfs_fruit, others don't. Mounting them in conjunction on OS X clients
> results in undefined behaviour.
>
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> 	map to guest = Bad User
> 	max log size = 50
> 	realm = XXXX.AD.UALBERTA.CA
> 	security = ADS
> 	workgroup = STS
> 	glusterfs:volume = mfs1
> 	idmap config * : backend = tdb
> 	access based share enum = Yes
> 	force create mode = 0777
> 	force directory mode = 0777
> 	include = /mfsmount/admin/etc/mfs/smb_shares.conf
> 	kernel share modes = No
> 	read only = No
> 	smb encrypt = desired
> 	vfs objects = glusterfs
> [share1]
> 	path = /share1
> 	valid users = @mfs-sa1 at xxxx.ad.ualberta.ca
> [share2]
> 	path = /share2
> 	valid users = @mfs-test-group at xxxx.ad.ualberta.ca

Oh.. you are sharing sub-directories which is also fine.

> [nomodule]
> 	kernel share modes = Yes
> 	path = /mfsmount/share1
> 	valid users = @mfs-sa1 at xxxx.ad.ualberta.ca
> 	vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr

Interesting..

Even this FUSE mounted GlusterFS share is not behaving normal? What errors do you see in glusterfs
fuse mount log(/var/log/glusterfs/mfsmount-.log) while accessing this share?

> [nomodule-nofruit]
> 	kernel share modes = Yes
> 	path = /mfsmount/share1
> 	valid users = @mfs-sa1 at xxxx.ad.ualberta.ca
> 	vfs objects =
>

> [module]
> 	path = /share1
> 	valid users = @mfs-sa1 at xxxx.ad.ualberta.ca
> [IPC$]
> 	available = No
> 	vfs objects =

You may remove the whole [IPC$] section.