[Gluster-users] Announcing Gluster Release 5

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Tue Oct 23 16:45:27 UTC 2018

23.10.2018 19:30, Shyam Ranganathan пишет:
> On 10/23/2018 11:13 AM, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
>> Looks like there are no major changes since 4.1...
>>
>> Why major release ?
> Any enhancement made post a release, is not back-ported to the existing
> stable release, and every 4 months a release is made that includes these
> enhancements. Thus a new release.
>
> Also, all bug fixes made to mainline branch are not back-ported to
> existing stable releases, as they may either not be a problem or not
> reported against said release. Fixes that are deemed critical are
> back-ported, but not all fixes. Thus every 4 months a release is made
> that helps provide a more stable base for the users of, existing
> features of, the project.
>
> Hope this answers the need for a release around every 4 month mark.

Well, AFAIR, there were plans that glusterd2 will be stable in 4.1,

so we'll have to migrate to glusterd2, all future ( since 4.2) releases
will support only glusterd2.

Now 5.0 is available, but glusterd2 is still not ready.

May be it is better to mark releases according to features, not timeline?

AFAIR, "when ready" is usual policy for opensource projects, RedHat
renumber this anyway for commercial version :-)

Thank you!