[Gluster-users] architecture suggestions

Vlad Kopylov vladkopy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 21:18:37 UTC 2018

You can experiment with FUSE mount options: halo-latency & halo-min-replicas
 halo-latency: The threshold below which all other clients will
  consider children (bricks) connected.
 halo-min-replicas: The minimum number of replicas which are to
  be enforced regardless of latency specified in the above 3 options.
  If the number of children falls below this threshold the next
  best (chosen by latency) shall be swapped in.

If you have one brick per site set halo-min-replicas to 1 and halo-latency
very low so it will write to the local brick (watch that fuse connects to
local gluster - it tends to mount to remote on boot);
  then files written will "heal" to the other bricks on a background. Heal
performance is pretty solid.
I wouldn't do it for VMs

With my clusters around 10ms max latency I dont mind slow writes to cluster.
Real problem are reads from cluster as it does all attr queries 20 times
each file,
and if you have maildir 100k emails in a folder ...

I had to write overlay fuse file system to direct reads directly to the
brick through the kernel, bypassing all gluster fuse stuff:
all reads fly, and writes go regular way
https://github.com/lavdnone/unionfs-fuse

You can also look in to Syncthing - surprisingly made on Go it is pretty
solid. Especially for 2 replicas you want.
Shoot own discovery server on each node or on some cloud and have your
sites sync with file change monitoring 0 delay.