[Gluster-users] [NFS-Ganesha-Devel] Re: NFS-Ganesha question

Daniel Gryniewicz dang at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 12:00:02 UTC 2018

On 10/16/2018 01:09 AM, Jiffin Tony Thottan wrote:
> CCing ganesha list as well
>

> On Monday 15 October 2018 07:44 PM, Renaud Fortier wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are currently facing a strange behaviour with our cluster. Right
>> now I’m running bitrot scrub against the volume but I’m not sure it
>> will help finding the problem. Anyway, my question is about
>> nfs-ganesha and NFSv4. Since this strange behaviour begun, I read alot
>> and I found that idmapd is needed for NFSv4. If I run rpcinfo or ps
>> –ef |grep idmapd on our nodes, I don’t see it.
>>
>> Is rpc.idmapd supposed to be running when using nfs-ganesha 2.6.3 with
>> gluster 4.1.5 ?
>>

> IMO rpc.idmap as a service is not required for ganesha, but ganesha uses
> apis from "libnfsidmap"  for id mapping for confirming the same

idmapd is used to convert client usernames/IDs into server
usernames/IDs.  This allows things like a user with UID 100 on one
client to map to the same user with UID 200 on another client.  It's
not, strictly speaking, necessary; but it's very nice to have,
especially in large environments with diverse clients.

NFSv4 will work without it.

Daniel