[Gluster-users] Glusterd2 project updates (https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2)

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 07:00:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Dmitry Melekhov <dm at belkam.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> 01.10.2018 10:46, Amar Tumballi пишет:
>

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:58 AM Dmitry Melekhov <dm at belkam.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Any ideas when it will be ready for production?
>>

> Dmitry! We are taking things into incremental steps with GD2, and goal is
> not to solve everything GD1 did in first cut (for production too), but take
> it step by step. The first goal of GD2 would be to get into production in
> container use cases, as it fits the bill nicely there.
>

> Thank you!
> Currently we use gluster for VM workloads, there are no plans for
> containers use here.

Thanks for this! When you say VM workload, are we talking about only below
set of commands, or are you using something more?

* gluster volume {create, start,stop,set,reset,delete}
* gluster volume info/status

* gluster volume 'profile' ? (well this is not required for functionality,
but for us to have more 'understanding').

Are you using anything specific outside of this? It helps us to consider a
release, which can be targeted for this workload... I will add it as an
agenda in maintainer's meeting.

We request you to try out the GD2 release which would be available with
glusterfs-5.0 sometime next week to validate if it works for your use case!
That way, we can be more confident of this. If you use 'ansible' to deploy
your glusterfs, it is currently supports gd2 based cluster too, so nothing
much should change for your workload.

We will keep this list updated about progress!

-Amar

> An effort is underway to get the gd2 tested in end-to-end test cases in
> container workload!  Check https://github.com/gluster/gcs &
> https://github.com/gluster/gcs/tree/master/deploy for more on this. We
> are trying to run tests nightly on these setups, where GD2 project is used
> regularly!
>
> To qualify GD2 to production, we would need help in getting the tests
> automated with gd2, without which, we will never be sure of success
> criteria for this. We are happy to get a lot of help in this regard! Both
> for our regression tests, and also for glusto-tests repo.
>

>> Thank you!
>>

> Is there any specific 'features' of gluster (like
> quota/snapshot/bit-rot/geo-rep) you are using right now? Some of these
> would be supported in v1, where as some may be just in Tech Preview/Beta
> state when we call out GD2 v1.
>

> We are interesting in using thin arbiter, but it is only supported on
> glusterd2...
> Will it be ported to gluster v1?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Happy to discuss more on this!