[Gluster-users] Glusterd2 project updates (https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2)

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 06:46:17 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:58 AM Dmitry Melekhov <dm at belkam.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Any ideas when it will be ready for production?

Dmitry! We are taking things into incremental steps with GD2, and goal is
not to solve everything GD1 did in first cut (for production too), but take
it step by step. The first goal of GD2 would be to get into production in
container use cases, as it fits the bill nicely there.

An effort is underway to get the gd2 tested in end-to-end test cases in
container workload!  Check https://github.com/gluster/gcs &
https://github.com/gluster/gcs/tree/master/deploy for more on this. We are
trying to run tests nightly on these setups, where GD2 project is used
regularly!

To qualify GD2 to production, we would need help in getting the tests
automated with gd2, without which, we will never be sure of success
criteria for this. We are happy to get a lot of help in this regard! Both
for our regression tests, and also for glusto-tests repo.

> Thank you!

Is there any specific 'features' of gluster (like
quota/snapshot/bit-rot/geo-rep) you are using right now? Some of these
would be supported in v1, where as some may be just in Tech Preview/Beta
state when we call out GD2 v1.

Happy to discuss more on this!

Regards,
Amar

> [...]
> >          request(https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1245)
> > - With Glusterd2, Volumes can be created by manually specifying each
> >    brick or specifying size without bricks information. Many operations
> >    are dependent on how the bricks are provisioned, for example if
> >    bricks are auto provisioned then bricks needs to be mounted on node
> >    reboot or glusterd2 restart. Auto provision flag is added to achive
> >    the same(https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1036)
> > - Glusterd2 can be customized by setting a few environment
> >    variables(for example `GD2_NOEMBED=true`). These env variables were
> >    not available for Glusterd2 when started using systemd. Now systemd
> >    unit file is enhanced to understand the configurations set via env
> >    variables.(https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1230)
> > - Other improvement to avoid annoyance to developers by adding the IDE
> >    specific files to
> >    `.gitignore`(https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1238)
> >

> > ## Upcoming features planned in next two weeks:
> >
> > - Template support for Volgen. Gluster volume mounts and brick
> >    processes loads the xlators and respective options based on the
> >    provided Volfile. As of now list of Xlators and its options can be
> >    modified by changing the Glusterd2 code and recompiling. With this
> >    enhancement, list of Xlators to be loaded in generated volfile can
> >    be controlled by adding/removing from a template file. This feature
> >    provides flexibility to support different usecases without modifying
> >    the Glusterd2 code.(https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1229)
> > - Making bricks provisioner as plugin: Currently LVM provisioner is
> >    used to auto provision the bricks when volume create is requested by
> >    specifying size without providing the bricks details. With this
> >    enhancement new provisioners can be added easily without affecting
> >    the existing ones.(https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1256)
> > - Newly added bricks were not placed properly when distributed
> >    replicate volume was expanded. PR is sent to fix the issue
> > - Replace brick - Support for replace brick operation as documented
> >    here
> >
> > https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/issues/472#issuecomment-408389266
> > - Add Volume capacity information in Volume info - Since Volume
> >    capacity is static information which will not change after volume
> >    create unless volume is expanded. Enhancement is planned to save the
> >    capacity information in volinfo when auto provision volume is
> >    created. (https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1193)
> > - Couple of PRs related to Snapshot feature are under
> >    review.(https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1228,
> >    https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1053)
> > - Tracing support for Volume and Snapshot operations
> >    (https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1255 and
> >    https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pull/1149)
> > - Support for Volume profile - This helps users to understand and
> >    debug the Gluster Volume. In Glusterd, this feature is supported

Amar Tumballi (amarts)