[Gluster-users] arbiter node on client?

Ben Turner bturner at redhat.com
Mon May 7 14:43:16 UTC 2018

One thing to remember with arbiters is that they need IOPs, not capacity as much.  With a VM use case this is less impactful, but workloads with lots of smallfiles can become heavily bottlenecked at the arbiter.  Arbiters only save metadata, not data, but metadata needs lots of small reads and writes.  I have seen many instances where the the arbiter had considerably less IOPs than the other bricks and it lead to perf issues.  With VMs you don't have thousands of files so its prolly not a big deal, but in more general purpose workloads its important to remember this.

HTH!

-b