[Gluster-users] Increase redundancy on existing disperse volume

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 04:44:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

1. If I create a 1 redundancy volume in the beginning, after I add more bricks, can I increase redundancy to 2 or 3
No, You can not change the redundancy level of the same volume in future. So, if you have created a 2+1 volume (2 data and 1 redundancy), you will have to stick to it.

2. If I create the original volume with 6TB bricks, am I really stuck with 6TB bricks even if I add 2 or more 10TB bricks
It all depends on the configuration and which brick you want to change. If you have 2+1 EC volume then all the bricks should be of same size. If you want to increase capacity of 1 brick, you have to
increase capacity of all the brick. However, if you add 3 more bricks of 10TB each, you can add these 3 bricks on the existing volume to make it distributed ec volume and can use the increased capacity of volume.

3. Is it required to extend a volume by the same number or bricks it was created with? If the original volume is made with 3 bricks, do I have to always add capacity in 3 brick increments?
Yes, that is true with EC volume as it is with replica volume. You have to add 3 bricks.

Please let us know in detail about the setup you want to achieve and what are your future expectations with the storage setup. I would like to suggest what best you can do.

---
Ashish

I'm working to convert my 3x3 arbiter replicated volume into a disperse volume, however I have to work with the existing disks, maybe adding another 1 or 2 new disks if necessary. I'm hoping to destroy the bricks on one of the replicated nodes and build it into a
I'm opting to host this volume on a set of controllers connected to a common backplane, I don't need help on this config, just on the constraints of the disperse volumes.

I have some questions about the disperse functionality