[Gluster-users] Gluter 3.12.12: performance during heal and in general

Hu Bert revirii at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 27 08:47:44 UTC 2018

>> Btw.: i've seen in the munin stats that the disk utilization for
>> bricksdd1 on the healthy gluster servers is between 70% (night) and
>> almost 99% (daytime). So it looks like that the basic problem is the
>> disk which seems not to be able to work faster? If so (heal)
>> performance won't improve with this setup, i assume.
>

> It could be saturating in the day. But if enough self-heals are going on,
> even in the night it should have been close to 100%.

Lowest utilization was 70% over night, but i'll check this
evening/weekend. Also that 'stat...' is running.

>> Maybe switching
>> to RAID10 (conventional hard disks), SSDs or even add 3 additional
>> gluster servers (distributed replicated) could help?
>

> It definitely will give better protection against hardware failure. Failure
> domain will be lesser.

What, in your opinion, would be better for permormance?

- Having 3 servers and RAID10 (with conventional disks)
- Having 3 additional servers with 4 hdds (JBOD) each (distribute
replicate, replica 3)
- SSDs? (would be quite expensive to reach the storage amount we have
at the moment)

Just curious. It seems we'll have to adjust our setup during winter anyway :-)

Thanx again :-)