[Gluster-users] Feature Classification & Quality Expectation.

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 07:16:47 UTC 2018

We sent an email few days back for proposal to deprecate some features in
glusterfs (
https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2018-July/054997.html).

Shyam recently sent the document as a patch upstream Gluster @
https://review.gluster.org/20538/. (Same is copied below in email here).
Please provide your valuable feedback on the same, so we can make it a
general practice.

This is done for making things more clear about proper expectation from
each of the component/feature, we want to have more classification of each
feature, control them using the code itself, and make sure we keep the list
up-to-date with each release, so our users have proper expectations set.

<content-from-patch>

The purpose of the document is to define a classification for various
xlators and expectations around what each classification means from a
perspective of health and maintenance of the xlator.

The need to do this is to ensure certain classifications are kept in good
health, and helps the community and contributors focus efforts on around
the same.
<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Classifications>Classifications

   1. Experimental (E)
   2. TechPreview (TP)
   3. Maintained/Supported (M)
   4. Sunset (S)
   5. Deprecated (D)

<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Experimental-E>Experimental (E)

Developed in the experimental branch, for exploring new features. These are
NEVER released, and MAYBE packaged to help with getting feedback from
interested users.
<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Quality-expectations>Quality
expectations

   - Compiles
   - Does not break nightly experimental regressions

<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#TechPreview-TP>TechPreview (TP)

Features in master or release branches that are not complete for general
purpose consumption, but are mature enough to invite feedback and host user
data.

These features will receive better attention from maintainers/authors that
are working on maturing the same, than ones in
Experimental/Sunset/Deprecated states.

There is no grantee that these features will move to the Maintained state,
and may just get Deprecated based on feedback, or other project goals or
technical alternatives.
<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Quality-expectations1>Quality
expectations

   - Same as Maintained, sans
      - Performance, Scale, other(?)

<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Maintained-M>Maintained (M)

These features are part of the core Gluster functionality and are
maintained actively. These are part of master and release branches and get
high priority attention from maintainers and other interested contributors.
<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Quality-expectations2>Quality
expectations

NOTE: A short note on what each of these mean are added here, details to
follow.

   - Bug backlog: Actively address bug backlog
   - Enhancement backlog: Actively maintain outstanding enhancement backlog
   (need not be acted on, but should be visible to all)
   - Review backlog: Actively keep this below desired counts and states
   - Static code health: Actively meet near-zero issues in this regard
      - Coverity, spellcheck and other checks
   - Runtime code health: Actively meet defined coverage levels in this
   regard
      - Coverage, others?
      - Per-patch regressions
      - Glusto runs
      - Performance
      - Scalability
   - Technical specifications: Implementation details should be documented
   and updated at regular cadence (even per patch that change assumptions in
   here)
   - User documentation: User facing details should be maintained to
   current status in the documentation
   - Debuggability: Steps, tools, procedures should be documented and
   maintained each release/patch as applicable
   - Troubleshooting: Steps, tools, procedures should be documented and
   maintained each release/patch as applicable
      - Steps/guides for self service
      - Knowledge base for problems
   - Other common criteria that will apply: Required metrics/desired states
   to be define per criteria
      - Monitoring, usability, statedump, and other such xlator expectations

<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Sunset-S>Sunset (S)

Features on master or release branches that would be deprecated and/or
replaced with similar or other functionality in the next major release.
<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Quality-expectations3>Quality
expectations

   - Retain status-quo when moved to this state, till it is moved to
   deprecated

<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Deprecated-D>Deprecated (D)

Features/code still in tree, but not packaged or shipped or supported in
any form. This is noted as a category till the code is removed from the
tree.

These feature and their corresponding code and test health will not be
executed.
<https://hackmd.io/q_aEokbxSBSN-LdoaJ6Z6A#Quality-expectations4>Quality
expectations

   - None