[Gluster-users] File and directories: best solution by design

Marcello Orizi marcello.orizi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:34:18 UTC 2018

Hi all,
 we have two servers with a shared filesystem managed by GlusterFS.

Some days ago, in order to do some mainteinance task we needed to shutdown
one of the two servers.
After some hours, we restarted the server and all was OK. GlusterFS
restarted correctly and it was syncing files.
The problem was that on the server we shutted down, the average load
started growing for a very long period. Checking what it was doing, we
verified that it was syncing files in the session directory of a website
with a lot of traffic. In that directory there is a big number of small
files with all the sessions of the last 30 days (every night we purge the
files older than 30 days).
Consider that the website was unreachable given to this problem, while
other websites was working correctly while GlusterFS was syncing.

Now, my question. We didn't tuning GlusterFS but we use it with its default
values.
Before starting tuning GlusterFS, by design, is better to have only a
directory with all the files inside it or to split these files in a lot of
subdirectories ?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Marcello