[Gluster-users] Snapshot with 4.1.1

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Thu Jul 12 19:27:26 UTC 2018

Hi Rafi,

thank you for the explanation. I never thought about such a scenario.
But you are right :-). I only wonder, that I have never notice this
before. But better late then never.

Stefan

Am 12.07.2018 um 12:58 schrieb Mohammed Rafi K C:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> This is not a Gluster4 series, it is a design choice. This is the same
> behavior in 3.x series also. When you restore a volume, we cannot use
> the old path. Because we are not sure about the path at time when we
> restore the volume. I will explain with an example.
>
> Let's say you have 1*3 volume, and you took snapshot say snap1. Later
> you decide to remove a brick and make the volume as 1*2. It is very much
> possible that the removed brick will be deleted and/or mount point might
> have reused for some other purpose. So when we restore the snap1, it
> will have volume configuration as 1*3. If we use the same path, then the
> third path is not in our gluster space.
>
> To avoid this scenario, when a snapshot restore, we use the same
> snapshot bricks. Ie volume bricks will make to point to snapshot brick.
>

> Regards
>
> Rafi KC
>

> On 07/12/2018 01:47 PM, Stefan Kania wrote:
>>
>> No one uses gluster 4.1.1 with snapshots?
>>

>> Am 10.07.18 um 14:11 schrieb Stefan Kania:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just installed Gluster Version 4.1.1 from, the gluster.org repository.
>>> I tested the snapshot function and now I'm having the following problem:
>>>
>>> When I do a "gluster volume info" BEFOR the snapshot I got:
>>> ----------
>>>
>>> root at sambabuch-c2:~# gluster snapshot create snap1 gv1
>>>
>>> root at sambabuch-c2:~# gluster v info
>>>
>>> Volume Name: gv1
>>> Type: Replicate
>>> Volume ID: 43dcb41c-4893-4bbe-98fd-01f47810ee89
>>> Snapshot Count: 0
>>> Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
>>> Transport-type: tcp
>>> Bricks:
>>> Brick1: knoten-1:/gluster/brick
>>> Brick2: knoten-2:/gluster/brick
>>> Options Reconfigured:
>>> performance.client-io-threads: off
>>> nfs.disable: on
>>> transport.address-family: inet
>>> ----------
>>> The path in "Brick1:" and "Brick2" ist ok.
>>> Then I revert to the snapshot with:
>>> ---------
>>>
>>> root at sambabuch-c1:~# gluster volume stop gv1
>>>
>>> root at sambabuch-c1:~# gluster snapshot restore snap1_GMT-2018.07.10-11.36.32
>>>
>>> root at sambabuch-c1:~# gluster v info
>>>
>>> Volume Name: gv1
>>> Type: Replicate
>>> Volume ID: 43dcb41c-4893-4bbe-98fd-01f47810ee89
>>> Snapshot Count: 0
>>> Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
>>> Transport-type: tcp
>>> Bricks:
>>> Brick1:
>>> knoten-1:/run/gluster/snaps/ff8f9838466a4566a18fb74be82ed56d/brick1/brick
>>> Brick2:
>>> knoten-2:/run/gluster/snaps/ff8f9838466a4566a18fb74be82ed56d/brick2/brick
>>> Options Reconfigured:
>>> performance.client-io-threads: off
>>> nfs.disable: on
>>> transport.address-family: inet