[Gluster-users] Replacing a third data node with an arbiter one

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri Jan 26 01:35:26 UTC 2018

On 01/24/2018 07:20 PM, Hoggins! wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The subject says it all. I have a replica 3 cluster :
>
>      gluster> volume info thedude
>
>      Volume Name: thedude
>      Type: Replicate
>      Volume ID: bc68dfd3-94e2-4126-b04d-77b51ec6f27e
>      Snapshot Count: 0
>      Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
>      Transport-type: tcp
>      Bricks:
>      Brick1: ngluster-1.network.hoggins.fr:/export/brick/thedude
>      Brick2: ngluster-2.network.hoggins.fr:/export/brick/thedude
>      Brick3: ngluster-3.network.hoggins.fr:/export/brick/thedude
>      Options Reconfigured:
>      cluster.server-quorum-type: server
>      transport.address-family: inet
>      nfs.disable: on
>      performance.readdir-ahead: on
>      client.event-threads: 8
>      server.event-threads: 15
>

> ... and I would like to replace, say ngluster-2 with an arbiter-only
> node, without any data. Is that possible ? How ?
Yes, you would need to reduce it to replica 2 and then convert it to
arbiter.
1. Ensure there are no pending heals, i.e. heal info shows zero entries.
2. gluster volume remove-brick thedude replica 2
ngluster-3.network.hoggins.fr:/export/brick/thedude force
3. gluster volume add-brick thedude replica 3 arbiter 1 <IP:brick path
of the new arbiter brick>

HTH,
Ravi