[Gluster-users] Run away memory with gluster mount

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri Jan 26 01:21:11 UTC 2018

On 01/25/2018 11:04 PM, Dan Ragle wrote:
> *sigh* trying again to correct formatting ... apologize for the
> earlier mess.
>
> Having a memory issue with Gluster 3.12.4 and not sure how to
> troubleshoot. I don't *think* this is expected behavior.
>
> This is on an updated CentOS 7 box. The setup is a simple two node
> replicated layout where the two nodes act as both server and client.
>
> The volume in question:
>
> Volume Name: GlusterWWW
> Type: Replicate
> Volume ID: 8e9b0e79-f309-4d9b-a5bb-45d065faaaa3
> Snapshot Count: 0
> Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: vs1dlan.mydomain.com:/glusterfs_bricks/brick1/www
> Brick2: vs2dlan.mydomain.com:/glusterfs_bricks/brick1/www
> Options Reconfigured:
> nfs.disable: on
> cluster.favorite-child-policy: mtime
> transport.address-family: inet
>
> I had some other performance options in there, (increased cache-size,
> md invalidation, etc) but stripped them out in an attempt to isolate
> the issue. Still got the problem without them.
>
> The volume currently contains over 1M files.
>
> When mounting the volume, I get (among other things) a process as such:
>
> /usr/sbin/glusterfs --volfile-server=localhost
> --volfile-id=/GlusterWWW /var/www
>
> This process begins with little memory, but then as files are accessed
> in the volume the memory increases. I setup a script that simply reads
> the files in the volume one at a time (no writes). It's been running
> on and off about 12 hours now and the resident memory of the above
> process is already at 7.5G and continues to grow slowly. If I stop the
> test script the memory stops growing, but does not reduce. Restart the
> test script and the memory begins slowly growing again.
>
> This is obviously a contrived app environment. With my intended
> application load it takes about a week or so for the memory to get
> high enough to invoke the oom killer.

Can you try debugging with the statedump
(https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Troubleshooting/statedump/#read-a-statedump)
of the fuse mount process and see what member is leaking? Take the
statedumps in succession, maybe once initially during the I/O and once
the memory gets high enough to hit the OOM mark.
Share the dumps here.

Regards,
Ravi