[Gluster-users] IMP: Release 4.0: CentOS 6 packages will not be made available

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Jan 19 12:58:32 UTC 2018

On 01/18/2018 06:25 PM, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:
> On 11/01/2018 18:32, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
>> Gluster Users,
>>
>> This is to inform you that from the 4.0 release onward, packages for
>> CentOS 6 will not be built by the gluster community. This also means
>> that the CentOS SIG will not receive updates for 4.0 gluster packages.
>>
>> Gluster release 3.12 and its predecessors will receive CentOS 6 updates
>> till Release 4.3 of gluster (which is slated around Dec, 2018).
>>
>> The decision is due to the following,
>> - Glusterd2 which is golang based meets its dependencies on CentOS 7
>> only, and is not built on CentOS 6 (yet)
>>
>> - Gluster community regression machines and runs are going to be CentOS
>> 7 based going forward, and so determinism of quality on CentOS 7 would
>> be better than on CentOS 6
>>
>> If you have questions, send to Amye Scavarda <amye at redhat.com>
>>
> Hi Amye,
>
> How does this mesh with the fact that CentOS 6 is supposed
> to receive maintenance updates until November 2020?
> Particularly as this project is a Red Hat endeavour. Will we
> only get updates on RHEL6 or is that going to be
> discontinued around December 2018 as well?

Yes, Red Hat contributes a lot to GlusterFS, but IMO that's not relevant
from a Community perspective.

RHEL6 and CentOS6 don't have a golang compiler. That's a hard
requirement for 4.0. The golang compiler must be in the base system, not
in EPEL; that's a hard requirement from CentOS for the CentOS Storage SIG.

A golang compiler could land in the RHEL6 base — and thus in the CentOS6
base — at which point I expect we almost certainly would build CentOS6
packages again. My crystal ball is cloudy on this. We'll just have to
wait and see.

Until that happens though, it means GlusterFS for CentOS6 will be frozen
at 3.12.X (and 3.13.X) from December 2018 on. At least for Community
packages in the CentOS Storage SIG.

Other people in the Community are certainly always welcome to produce
packages by other means and make them available for Community use.

--

Kaleb