[Gluster-users] How to set up a 4 way gluster file system

Karthik Subrahmanya ksubrahm at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 06:05:36 UTC 2018

Hi,

With replica 2 volumes one can easily end up in split-brains if there are
frequent disconnects and high IOs going on.
If you use replica 3 or arbiter volumes, it will guard you by using the
quorum mechanism giving you both consistency and availability.
But in replica 2 volumes, quorum does not make sense since it needs both
the nodes up to guarantee consistency, which costs availability.

If you can consider having a replica 3 or arbiter volumes it would be
great. Otherwise you can anyway go ahead and continue with the replica 2
volume
by selecting  *y* for the warning message. It will create the replica 2
configuration as you wanted.

HTH,
Karthik