[Gluster-users] Hosted VM Pause when one node of gluster goes down

Artem Russakovskii archon810 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:07:39 UTC 2018

Hi Russell,

Since I also ran into this when setting up gluster, the solution is to
tweak network.ping-timeout to a lower value (default is 42 seconds). If a
node goes down and starts timing out, the whole cluster will attempt to
block access, including reads, for network.ping-timeout seconds and only
let them through after.

I set mine to 5 (seconds) because 42 is nowhere near an acceptable wait
value.

Note: This only happens when the node goes offline for the first time.
After that, the file accesses are not blocked and it's expected that when
the node comes back online, it'll ring back and reconnect.

More on this:
https://serverfault.com/questions/619355/how-to-lower-gluster-fs-down-peer-timeout-reduce-down-peer-impact
https://thornelabs.net/2015/02/24/change-gluster-volume-connection-timeout-for-glusterfs-native-client.html

Sincerely,