[Gluster-users] troubleshooting kvm performance on gluster

Alan Laird alan at laird.net
Mon Apr 2 18:47:30 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've got a pair of systems running CentOS 7.4 as a testbed for kvm +
gluster.  It's a very basic config with a single SSD on each system.

Gluster is configured on the two systems and I'm testing performance with
fio.  My test numbers directly against the brick and the the fuse
mountpoint are really good.

I started out creating a libvirt storage pool on the fuse mount and noticed
really poor performance so I followed along the old gluster docs and
created a disk image using the qemu-libgfapi path and I'm seeing poor
performance there too.

I've looked around a lot but have not been able to find any more docs on
this type of setup or any information on troubleshooting this.

So in my test setup, I'm seeing great performance with centos kvm on ssh,
great performance of gluster on ssd, and 10% of the performance with kvm on
gluster on ssd.

Thanks,

Alan