[Gluster-users] Adding a slack for communication?

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 10:38:29 UTC 2017

On 11/09/2017 09:05 AM, Sam McLeod wrote:

>> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Amye Scavarda <amye at redhat.com
>> <mailto:amye at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     From today's community meeting, we had an item from the issue queue:
>>     https://github.com/gluster/community/issues/13
>>     <https://github.com/gluster/community/issues/13>
>>
>>     Should we have a Gluster Community slack team? I'm interested in
>>     everyone's thoughts on this.
>>

> As fancy as Slack is, I really don't like how dependant so many
> projects have become on it, it's not open source, the desktop client
> is dreadful (heavy javascript webframe), you're at the mercy of the
> companies decisions around the direction of their 'black box' software
> platform etc...

+1.  If I am not online on IRC, I am not 'ping-able' at that point in
time. From what I understand, slack takes that away by being able to
send offline messages. We already have email for that. For people like
me who get anxious until I hit reply to an email that is addressed to
me, slack doesn't sound all that fun. Searching IRC archives on a need
basis works just fine. On a lighter note,
https://twitter.com/iamdevloper/status/926458505355235328 :-)

Cheers,
Ravi