[Gluster-users] Adding a slack for communication?

Thu Nov 9 03:35:26 UTC 2017

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Amye Scavarda <amye at redhat.com <mailto:amye at redhat.com>> wrote:
> From today's community meeting, we had an item from the issue queue:
> https://github.com/gluster/community/issues/13 <https://github.com/gluster/community/issues/13>
>
> Should we have a Gluster Community slack team? I'm interested in
> everyone's thoughts on this.

As fancy as Slack is, I really don't like how dependant so many projects have become on it, it's not open source, the desktop client is dreadful (heavy javascript webframe), you're at the mercy of the companies decisions around the direction of their 'black box' software platform etc...

Personally I've found that discourse is a fantastic platform for project discussion, help and ideas: https://discourse.org <https://discourse.org/>

and for chat I've found that if IRC + a good web frontend for history/search isn't enough using either Mattermost (https://about.mattermost.com/ <https://about.mattermost.com/>) or Rocket Chat (https://rocket.chat/ <https://rocket.chat/>) has been very successful.

Just my 2c and I'll be happy to be a part of the community no matter where it ends up.

--
Sam McLeod
https://smcleod.net