[Gluster-users] file shred

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 04:33:34 UTC 2017

On 11/08/2017 11:36 PM, Kingsley Tart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if we were to use shred to delete a file on a gluster volume, will the
> correct blocks be overwritten on the bricks?
>
> (still using Gluster 3.6.3 as have been too cautious to upgrade a
> mission critical live system).
When I strace `shred filename`, it just seems to write + fsync random
values into the file based on some seed from /dev/urandom. Since these
are normal syscalls, and since gluster just sends these FOPS to the
bricks, it should work fine.
All caveats listed in `man shred` for the on-disk file system (XFS)
still apply.
Regards,
Ravi