[Gluster-users] Floating IPv6 in a cluster (as NFS-Ganesha VIP)

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Wed May 31 11:25:50 UTC 2017

On 05/31/2017 07:03 AM, Soumya Koduri wrote:
> +Andrew and Ken
>
> On 05/29/2017 11:48 PM, Jan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I love this project, Gluster and Ganesha are amazing. Thank you for this
>> great work!
>>
>> The only thing that I miss is IPv6 support. I know that there are some
>> challenges and that’s OK. For me it’s not important whether Gluster
>> servers use IPv4 or IPv6 to speak each other and replicate data.
>>
>> The only thing that I’d like to have is a floating IPv6 for clients when
>> I use Ganesha (just IPv6, dual stack isn’t needed).
>>
>> I tested it and I put IPv6 into ganesha-ha.conf instead of IPv4 and it
>> didn’t work. But I think that it might work since Ganesha supports IPv6:
>>
>> netstat -plnt
>>
>> tcp6   0    0 :::2049    :::*  LISTEN  1856/ganesha.nfsd
>>
>> Is there a way how to do that? Maybe build a cluster with IPv4 and then
>> change “something” in Pacemaker / Corosync and replace IPv4 by IPv6?
>>

> At-least from [1] looks like it is supported. Do you see any
> errors/warnings in the log files? (/var/log/messages,
> /var/log/pacemaker.log, /var/log/corosync.log)
>

> [1] https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/7-ocf_heartbeat_IPaddr2/

/usr/lib/ocf/resource.d/heartbeat/IPaddr2 does support IPv6:

  <shortdesc lang="en">Manages virtual IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (Linux
specific version)</shortdesc>

  <parameters>
  <parameter name="ip" unique="1" required="1">
  <longdesc lang="en">
  The IPv4 (dotted quad notation) or IPv6 address (colon hexadecimal
notation)
  example IPv4 "192.168.1.1".
  example IPv6 "2001:db8:DC28:0:0:FC57:D4C8:1FFF".
  </longdesc>

If it's not working I suspect the ganesha-ha.sh script may not handle
IPv6 addrs from the ganesha-ha.conf correctly.

Please file a bug at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=GlusterFS component:
common-ha, version: 3.10.

Patches are nice too. ;-)