[Gluster-users] How fill my volume for test?

Nag Pavan Chilakam nchilaka at redhat.com
Tue May 30 11:52:51 UTC 2017

Hi,
Do you mean to fill your gluster volume?
If so, without getting into the details, I can try giving some pointers:
1)As I see you want to fill data randomly with many directories and files, you can try to download linux kernel(kernel.org) and untar it
2)there are different tools available in github like FIO, smallfile(https://github.com/bengland2/smallfile/blob/master/smallfile_cli.py), crefi
3)One last hack-->If the intention is to fill your volume as fast of possible and assuming your volume is inside a directory on a thin lv(not directly using the mount path as the brick ), then you can directly copy  data into the LV mount with some random data or huge files(any log files or use above tools)
  This helps fill faster, as you are avoiding network as in a mount.
  IMPORTANT NOTE: I would like to reinstate, that you must be filling into the LV mount instead of the brick mount. Eg: if you LV mount is /rhs/lv1, I expect(as recommended), your brick path is something like /rhs/lv1/<brickname> . Hence you can fill in data under /rhs/lv1/<datadump>

Regards,
nag