[Gluster-users] Add single server

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Mon May 1 17:50:29 UTC 2017

On 05/01/2017 01:13 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

> [...]
>         <pkarampu at redhat.com <mailto:pkarampu at redhat.com>>:
>         > Yes this is precisely what all the other SDS with metadata servers kind of
>         > do. They kind of keep a map of on what all servers a particular file/blob is
>         > stored in a metadata server.
>
>         Not exactly. Other SDS has some servers dedicated to metadata and,
>         personally, I don't like that approach.
>
>         > GlusterFS doesn't do that. In GlusterFS what
>         > bricks need to be replicated is always given and distribute layer on top of
>         > these replication layer will do the job of distributing and fetching the
>         > data. Because replication happens at a brick level and not at a file level
>         > and distribute happens on top of replication and not at file level. There
>         > isn't too much metadata that needs to be stored per file. Hence no need for
>         > separate metadata servers.
>
>         And this is great, that's why i'm talking about embedding a sort
>         of database
>         to be stored on all nodes. no metadata servers, only a mapping
>         between files
>         and servers.
>
>         > If you know path of the file, you can always know where the file is stored
>         > using pathinfo:
>         > Method-2 in the following link:
>         > https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Troubleshooting/gfid-to-path/
>         <https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Troubleshooting/gfid-to-path/>
>         >
>         > You don't need any db.
>
>         For the current gluster yes.
>         I'm talking about a different thing.
>
>         In a RAID, you have data stored somewhere on the array, with
>         metadata
>         defining how this data should
>         be wrote or read. obviously, raid metadata must be stored in a fixed
>         position, or you won't be able to read
>         that.
>
>         Something similiar could be added in gluster (i don't know if it
>         would
>         be hard): you store a file mapping in a fixed
>         position in gluster, then all gluster clients will be able to know
>         where a file is by looking at this "metadata" stored in
>         the fixed position.
>
>         Like ".gluster" directory. Gluster is using some "internal"
>         directories for internal operations (".shards", ".gluster",
>         ".trash")
>         A ".metadata" with file mapping would be hard to add ?
>
>         > Basically what you want, if I understood correctly is:
>         > If we add a 3rd node with just one disk, the data should automatically
>         > arrange itself splitting itself to 3 categories(Assuming replica-2)
>         > 1) Files that are present in Node1, Node2
>         > 2) Files that are present in Node2, Node3
>         > 3) Files that are present in Node1, Node3
>         >
>         > As you can see we arrived at a contradiction where all the nodes should have
>         > at least 2 bricks but there is only 1 disk. Hence the contradiction. We
>         > can't do what you are asking without brick splitting. i.e. we need to split

Splitting the bricks need not be a post factum decision, we can start
with larger brick counts, on a given node/disk count, and hence spread
these bricks to newer nodes/bricks as they are added.

If I understand the ceph PG count, it works on a similar notion, till
the cluster grows beyond the initial PG count (set for the pool) at
which point there is a lot more data movement (as the pg count has to be
increased, and hence existing PGs need to be further partitioned) .
(just using ceph as an example, a similar approach exists for openstack
swift with their partition power settings).