[Gluster-users] Add single server

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Mon May 1 17:27:26 UTC 2017

> I agree it should. Question is how? What will be the resulting brick-map?

This is why i'm suggesting to add a file mapping somewhere.
You could also use xattr for this:

"file1" is mapped to GFID, then, as xattr for that GFID, you could
save the server/brick location, it this
way you always know where a file is.

To keep it simple for non-developers like me (this is wrong, it's a
simplification):
"/tmp/file1" hashes to 306040e474f199e7969ec266afd10d93

hash starts with "3" thus is located on brick3

You don't need any metadata for this, the hash algoritm is the only
thing you need.

But if you store the file location mapping somewhere (in example as
xattr for the GFID file) you can look for the file without using the
hash algoritm location.

ORIG_FILE="/tmp/file1"
GFID="306040e474f199e7969ec266afd10d93"
FILE_LOCATION=$(getfattr -n "file_location" $GFID)

if $FILE_LOCATION
   read from $FILE_LOCATION
else
   read from original algoritm