[Gluster-users] Add single server

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon May 1 17:02:15 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 1:43 PM, <lemonnierk at ulrar.net> wrote:

> > So I was a little but luck. If I has all the hardware part, probably i
> > would be firesd after causing data loss by using a software marked as
> stable
>
> Yes, we lost our data last year to this bug, and it wasn't a test cluster.
> We still hear from it from our clients to this day.
>
> > Is known that this feature is causing data loss and there is no evidence
> or
> > no warning in official docs.
> >

> I was (I believe) the first one to run into the bug, it happens and I knew
> it
> was a risk when installing gluster.
> But since then I didn't see any warnings anywhere except here, I agree
> with you that it should be mentionned in big bold letters on the site.

After discussion with 3.10 release maintainer, this was added in
release-notes of 3.10.1:
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/release-3.10/doc/release-notes/3.10.1.md

But you are right in the sense that just this much documentation doesn't do
enough justice.

> Might even be worth adding a warning directly on the cli when trying to
> add bricks if sharding is enabled, to make sure no-one will destroy a
> whole cluster for a known bug.

Want to raise a bug on 'distribute' component? If you don't have the time
let me know I will do the needful.

> > Il 30 apr 2017 12:14 AM, <lemonnierk at ulrar.net> ha scritto:
> >
> > > I have to agree though, you keep acting like a customer.
> > > If you don't like what the developers focus on, you are free to
> > > try and offer a bounty to motivate someone to look at what you want,
> > > or even better : go and buy a license for one of gluster's commercial
> > > alternatives.

> block.

> certainly

> list.