[Gluster-users] Load balanced VIP

Anthony Valentine anthony.valentine at bldr.com
Wed Jul 12 15:37:27 UTC 2017

Hello everyone!

I am working on implementing my first Gluster/Ganesha NFS setup and I am flowing this guide: http://blog.gluster.org/2015/10/linux-scale-out-nfsv4-using-nfs-ganesha-and-glusterfs-one-step-at-a-time

Everything is working fine.  I've got Gluster and Ganesha NFS working and I have VIPs on each node and it is failing over fine, if a little slowly.  However, the VIPs don't behave as I was expecting.

I was expecting a single VIP that clients could connect to that would load balance amongst all the active nodes, instead of having a VIP on each node.  Is it possible to configure it to behave this way?  I'm happy adding a proxy layer, such as an F5 or HAProxy, however I want to make sure that Ganesha doesn't handle this on its own before I head in that direction.  Also, if it does require a proxy, is there a particular product that is known to work well and is there a guide for setting that up somewhere?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Anthony