[Gluster-users] Upgrading Gluster revision (3.8.12 to 3.8.13) caused underlying VM fs corruption

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 11:55:47 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Diego Remolina <dijuremo at gmail.com> wrote:

> > You should first upgrade servers and then clients. New servers can
> > understand old clients, but it is not easy for old servers to understand
> new
> > clients in case it started doing something new.
>
> But isn't that the reason op-version exists? So that regardless of
> client/server mix, nobody tries to do "new" things above the current
> op-version?
>

> He is not changing mayor versions, just a small step from 3.8.12 to
> 3.8.13. Corruption should not be happening.

For some reason 3.8 upgrade guide is not where it is supposed to be.
We highly recommend upgrading servers ahead of clients.
https://github.com/nixpanic/glusterdocs/commit/f6d48dc17f2cb6ee4680e372520ec3358641b2bc

I think at some point it is better to make this mandatory. Without a
predefined way of upgrading, it is very difficult to fix bugs in backward
compatible manner.

I am not sure why the corruption happened either :-(. Pavel, could you give
log files may be?

> Diego

Pranith