[Gluster-users] Gluster native mount is really slow compared to nfs

Jo Goossens jo.goossens at hosted-power.com
Tue Jul 11 09:01:52 UTC 2017

Hello,

We tried tons of settings to get a php app running on a native gluster mount:

e.g.: 192.168.140.41:/www /var/www glusterfs defaults,_netdev,backup-volfile-servers=192.168.140.42:192.168.140.43,direct-io-mode=disable 0 0

I tried some mount variants in order to speed up things without luck.

After that I tried nfs (native gluster nfs 3 and ganesha nfs 4), it was a crazy performance difference.

e.g.: 192.168.140.41:/www /var/www nfs4 defaults,_netdev 0 0

I tried a test like this to confirm the slowness:

./smallfile_cli.py  --top /var/www/test --host-set 192.168.140.41 --threads 8 --files 5000 --file-size 64 --record-size 64
 This test finished in around 1.5 seconds with NFS and in more than 250 seconds without nfs (can't remember exact numbers, but I reproduced it several times for both).
 With the native gluster mount the php app had loading times of over 10 seconds, with the nfs mount the php app loaded around 1 second maximum and even less. (reproduced several times)
  I tried all kind of performance settings and variants of this but not helped , the difference stayed huge, here are some of the settings played with in random order:

gluster volume set www features.cache-invalidation on
gluster volume set www features.cache-invalidation-timeout 600
gluster volume set www performance.stat-prefetch on
gluster volume set www performance.cache-samba-metadata on
gluster volume set www performance.cache-invalidation on
gluster volume set www performance.md-cache-timeout 600
gluster volume set www network.inode-lru-limit 250000
 gluster volume set www performance.cache-refresh-timeout 60
gluster volume set www performance.read-ahead disable
gluster volume set www performance.readdir-ahead on
gluster volume set www performance.parallel-readdir on
gluster volume set www performance.write-behind-window-size 4MB
gluster volume set www performance.io-thread-count 64
 gluster volume set www performance.client-io-threads on
 gluster volume set www performance.cache-size 1GB
gluster volume set www performance.quick-read on
gluster volume set www performance.flush-behind on
gluster volume set www performance.write-behind on
gluster volume set www nfs.disable on
 gluster volume set www client.event-threads 3
gluster volume set www server.event-threads 3

The NFS ha adds a lot of complexity which we wouldn't need at all in our setup, could you please explain what is going on here? Is NFS the only solution to get acceptable performance? Did I miss one crucial settting perhaps?

We're really desperate, thanks a lot for your help!

PS: We tried with gluster 3.11 and 3.8 on Debian, both had terrible performance when not used with nfs.

Kind regards

Jo Goossens