[Gluster-users] Unexplicable GlusterFS load and poor performance

Jelle Van Hees jellev at aviovision.com
Tue Feb 28 15:38:20 UTC 2017

Dear gluster community

We are running GlusterFS replication server on 2 nodes and we have 2
clients. Self healing daemon is enabled. Each client is connected to a
different server using the Gluster client. We have a lot of very small
files on the Gluster volume.

We use GlusterFS 3.9.1 from the official GlusterFS APT Repositories on a
Debian Jessie system.

The issue we are facing with is that one of the servers is at 0.1-0.5 load
average while the other is at 200. The server with the high load also has a
huge amount of data being streamed constantly to both the client nodes.
This data stream continues even when the clients are not reading writing
data.

The following values are measured by nload and iftop :

*server:* outgoing 35-40 MB/s

*Two clients:* incoming 17-20 MB/s

Our performance on the Gluster client is very poor. An ls can take up to 10
second to complete, and our app works extremely slow.

Servers and clients are connecting over an internal data-center network and
can handle much more bandwidth so this is not a limiting factor.
My two main questions are :

*1:* Are these differences in server load normal behavior for GlusterFS and
what causes this?

*2:* Why is there such a high constant data stream to clients form one of
the servers.

I cannot seem to find any information concerning this in the Gluster
Documentation or on the

link to the server fault question

http://serverfault.com/questions/835343/unexplicable-glusterfs-load-and-poor-performance

Kind regards
*JELLE VAN HEES*
*LINUX SYSTEM ENGINEER*

AVIOVISION
Jaarbeurslaan 19 box 11, 3600 Genk, Belgium

T +32 (0)89 32 34 80 F +32 (0)89 36 37 95

<https://www.facebook.com/AvioVision>  <https://twitter.com/aviobook>
<https://www.instagram.com/aviobook/>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/aviovision-nv>
<http://www.aviobook.aero/>
Product of  AvioVision - A Thales Group Company
*The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, you are
kindly requested to notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer.Any views or opinions presented in this
email or any attachments are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of AvioVision, or associated companies.*