[Gluster-users] detecting replication issues

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:43:14 UTC 2017

HI Mohammed,

Its not a bug per se, its a configuration and documentation issue. I
searched the gluster documentation pretty thoroughly and I did not find
anything that discussed the 1) client's call graph and 2) how to
specifically configure a native glusterfs client to properly specify that
call graph so that replication will happen across multiple bricks. If its
there, then there's a pretty severe organization issue in the documentation
(I am pretty sure I ended up reading almost every page actually).

As a result, because I was a new to gluster, my initial set up really
confused me. I would follow the instructions as documented in official
gluster docs (execute the mount command), write data on the mount...and
then only see it replicated to a single brick. It was only after much
furious googling did I manage to figure out that that 1) i needed a client
configuration file which should be specified in /etc/fstab and 2) that
configuration block mentioned above was the key.

I am actually planning on submitting a PR to the documentation to cover all
this. To be clear, I am sure this is obvious to a seasoned gluster user --
but it is not at all obvious to someone who is new to gluster such as
myself.

So I am an operations engineer. I like reproducible deployments and I like
monitoring to alert me when something is wrong. Due to human error or a bug
in our deployment code, its possible that something like not setting the
client call graph properly could happen. I wanted a way to detect this
problem so that if it does happen, it can be remediated immediately.

Your suggestion sounds promising. I shall definitely look into that. Though
that might be a useful information to surface up in a CLI command in a
future gluster release IMHO.

Joe