[Gluster-users] Distributed volumes

Dev Sidious dev.sidious at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 18:12:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

New to Gluster too. I welcome the more experienced users to correct me
if I'm wrong.

Based on some quick tests in my environment, it works like this:

a) The following creates a replicated (replica count = 2),
non-distributed volume

gluster volume create replicated_but_not_distributed replica 2
host1:/GlusterFS/replicated_but_not_distributed
host2:/GlusterFS/replicated_but_not_distributed

[user at whatever]# gluster volume info replicated_but_not_distributed

Volume Name: replicated_but_not_distributed
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: blah-bal-blah-blah-blah
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: host1:/GlusterFS/replicated_but_not_distributed
Brick2: host2:/GlusterFS/replicated_but_not_distributed
Options Reconfigured:
nfs.disable: on
performance.readdir-ahead: on
transport.address-family: inet

b) The following creates a distributed, non-replicated volume. Note that
I omitted the "replica" directive:

gluster volume create distributed_but_not_replicated
host1:/GlusterFS/distributed_but_not_replicated
host2:/GlusterFS/distributed_but_not_replicated

[user at whatever]# gluster volume info distributed_but_not_replicated

Volume Name: distributed_but_not_replicated
Type: Distribute
Volume ID: blah-bal-blah-blah-blah
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: host1:/GlusterFS/distributed_but_not_replicated
Brick2: host2:/GlusterFS/distributed_but_not_replicated
Options Reconfigured:
transport.address-family: inet
performance.readdir-ahead: on
nfs.disable: on

c) The following creates a replicated AND distributed volume as shown
here
(https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/2.1/html/Administration_Guide/sect-User_Guide-Setting_Volumes-Distributed_Replicated.html):

gluster volume create replicated_and_distributed replica 2
host1:/GlusterFS/replicated_and_distributed
host2:/GlusterFS/replicated_and_distributed
host3:/GlusterFS/replicated_and_distributed
host4:/GlusterFS/replicated_and_distributed

I don't have 2 other nodes online at this moment to paste the output of
"gluster volume info" for this one.

I hope this helps.