[Gluster-users] Remove an artificial limitation of disperse volume

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Wed Feb 8 09:12:51 UTC 2017

Hi Olivier,

sorry, didn't see the email earlier...

We've already talked about this in private, but to make things clearer
to everyone I answer here.

On 07/02/17 14:16, Olivier Lambert wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm currently working on implementing Gluster on XenServer/Xen Orchestra.
>
> I want to expose some Gluster features (in the easiest possible way to
> the user).
>
> Therefore, I want to expose only "distributed/replicated" and
> "disperse" mode. From what I understand, they are working differently.
> Let's take a simple example.
>
> Setup: 6x nodes with 1x 200GB disk each.
>
> * Disperse with redundancy 2 (4+2): I can lose **any 2 of all my
> disks**. Total usable space is 800GB. It's a kind of RAID6 (or RAIDZ2)
> * Distributed/replicated with replica 2: I can lose 2 disks **BUT**
> not on the same "mirror". Total usable space is 600GB. It's a kind of
> RAID10
>
> So far, is it correct?

Yes, but sometimes you can gain some performance by splitting each disk
into two bricks if the disks are not the bottleneck.

> My main point is that behavior is very different (pairing disks in
> distributed/replicated and "shared" parity in disperse).
>
> Now, let's imagine something else. 4x nodes with 1x 200GB disk each.
>
> Why not having disperse with redundancy 2? It will be the same in
> terms of storage space than distributed/replicated, **BUT** in
> disperse I can lose any of 2 disks. In dist/rep, only if they are not
> on the same "mirror".
>
> So far, I can't create a disperse volume if the redundancy level is
> 50% or more the number of bricks. I know that perfs would be better in
> dist/rep, but what if I prefer anyway to have disperse?
>
> Conclusion: would it be possible to have a "force" flag during
> disperse volume creation even if redundancy is higher that 50%?

That's a design decision made to avoid most of the split-brains and
thinking that 50% redundancy is already achieved by replicate (even if
the conditions are not really the same).

The Reed-Solomon algorithm is able to create as many or even more
redundancy fragments as there are data bricks (the only real limitation
is the Galois Field used). However allowing this in disperse had a lot
of complex scenarios that are both difficult to solve and prone to
possible failures/data corruptions. So it was decided to not support
those configurations.

Xavi