[Gluster-users] Slow performance on samba with small files

Gary Lloyd g.lloyd at keele.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 09:10:22 UTC 2017

Hi

I am currently testing gluster 3.9 replicated/distrbuted on centos 7.3 with
samba/ctdb.
I have been able to get it all up and running, but writing small files is
really slow.

If I copy large files from gluster backed samba I get almost wire speed (We
only have 1Gb at the moment). I get around half that speed if I copy large
files to the gluster backed samba system, which I am guessing is due to it
being replicated (This is acceptable).

Small file write performance seems really poor for us though:
As an example I have an eclipse IDE workspace folder that is 6MB in size
that has around 6000 files in it. A lot of these files are <1k in size.

If I copy this up to gluster backed samba it takes almost one hour to get
there.
With our basic samba deployment it only takes about 5 minutes.

Both systems reside on the same disks/SAN.

I was hoping that we would be able to move away from using a proprietary
SAN to house our network shares and use gluster instead.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything I could tweak to make it
better ?

Many Thanks

*Gary Lloyd*
I.T. Systems:Keele University