[Gluster-users] Testing sharding on tiered volume

Viktor Nosov vnosov at stonefly.com
Tue Dec 19 17:43:34 UTC 2017

Ben,

For this set of tests we are using bricks provisioned on RAID storage. We are not trying to test performance of tiered volume right now. The goal is to find solution to handle large files that do not fit into hot tier.
You are correct that there is a lot of promotions and demotions of shards  when we are reading or writing large file. But at least sharding  let us do what pure tiered volume rejects.
Regarding to our experiments, tiered volume puts into hot  tier only file's shards that are accessed. All other file shards are staying on cold tier. Access to shards is managed by the shard translator.
After hitting problem while deleting files we stopped testing. We hope that somebody with knowledge of sharded and tiered volume implementations tells us how difficult could be to fix this issue.

Best regards,
Viktor Nosov